Wednesday, June 02, 2004

The Super Secret Underground Ninja Cool Life of International High School Students in Thailand

I'd like to begin by pointing out that while I am studying in Thailand, I am by no means a high school student. However, I do study at an international school. It is an extremely expensive (by Thai standards) university that houses most of the rich students in the North of Thailand. It might also be helpful to note that I am 26 years-old, speak a fair amount of Thai and have been in Thailand for a bit over a year. Lets take it from there.
Last night I went drinking with a friend of mine from school. We went to a nightclub on the highway that I had never been to before. Most of the clubs of this variety are quite trendy. Often they will have live bands and a few lounge rooms where groups of people can hang out on comfortable chairs/sofas. Inside we met with a schoolmate of ours. She is in her early 30s. Everyone else in the crowded lounge room appears to be considerably younger. After inquiring as to the identities of these younger looking folks, I learned that they were all students from 2 of the major international high schools here.
Now lets stop there for a moment. Am I that old? Have things changed so dramatically in the *cough* 9 years since I left those same halls of misery? When I was 16 and finally realized that to have any kind of social life, I needed to pretend I was someone other than I was. Many kids realized this at a much younger age, but I must have missed that lesson because I was busy playing NES. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that these kids here have it good. They can go hang out at night clubs where they often have more cash then the locals (and myself I suspect!) and do whatever they hell they want. Not so good looking? Not very athletic? No problem my friend, this is Thailand afterall. In this land of wonder, girls like you for slightly different qualities. They like us smart, but if you aren't smart and have lots of money...No problem !! Also, they like us nice, but again we won't turn away cock-monkeys with cash! Perhaps I'm stereotyping too much, but hell, it seems to me that more often than not, girls think security first here. Whoops, got on a rant there. Terribly sorry. Back to the point. These guys are regular 15-17 year olds who while they may need to deal with some of the normal teenager issues, they can all be 'the man' outside of school. Pretty nice eh? The first few times I discovered myself hanging out at these nightclubs with groups of friends ranging from 15-35, I thought it was a bit odd. I probably won't grow comfortable with it, for me the scene is rather boring, but for them it must be pretty sweet. Lucky wankers.

No comments: