Saturday, June 24, 2006

Let Me See Your Feel !

I'm going to some party at a resort an hour or so outside the city tomorrow. Its hosted by the local radio stations here (the only one in English) and a few of my friends are DJs so I got an invite. Free beer and karaoke sold me. More on this later.

I've been using the Heisig system to memorize the writing/meaning of the Chinese characters (for learning Japanese) for some time now and I have been finding it quite useful in Chinese class as well. However, sometimes it can be confusing as the simplification methods used for each language were different. The stuff works really great. The other day I was waiting around at my Chinese school for my class to start and this girl asked me what 袜子 meant. I had come across that a while ago and it was very easy to come up with a story to help me connect the pieces and remember how to write the character without having ever actually written it (I just do it with my finger on my hand or on a table). As for 袜子, it means socks. The first character consists of 2 parts. The first is a slightly thinned form of 木,which means tree. the second part is a more heavily modified version of 衣,which is related to cloth, fabric, clothes and the like. The way to remember that (assuming you know the pieces first, as this is vital) is to briefly picture a tree wearing socks. The second character is extremely common and it doesn't seem necessary to regard it in this image. When I explained this to the girl, she said to me, "Pii Brett, I don't understand why a tree would wear socks..." Um. So I told her to picture a treant from Lord of the Rings if that makes it easier. The more ridiculous the image, the harder it is to forget.

Speaking of Chinese stuff, I ran into a Chinese guy who I met through my teacher today. He was with 5 other Chinese people who have come to study their final year of Uni at Ratchabhat University in Chiang Mai. I'm pretty shy with my Chinese so I didn't say much beyond small talk. I do need to find some Chinese people to talk to if I'm ever going to improve. My classes are ok, but I feel like we waste a whole lot of time and I have very little chance to speak. My Korean lessons on the other hand are extremely efficient. I just refuse to do anything I consider a waste of time.

I started taking Zoloft again yesterday. I was off it for over a month I think. Anyways, I've been feeling pretty lethargic and I thought it might be a good idea to start it up again at a lower dose. During the time I wasn't taking it I did manage to increase my exercise considerably and lower my alcohol intake, but I am too prone to anger over trivial things.

I was at my usual vegetarian restaurant the other night and there was some girls eating at another table and a couple of them were fairly interesting. I ran into one on the way out and she asked for my number for her friend who had left already. I gave it to her and she called me later that night. She wanted help with some English homework apparantly. So I met her for lunch yesterday and she pulled out this 6 page paper about agricultural econmics and the King of Thailand. She wants me to translate it from English to Thai. I'm not sure if I can do that. I said I'd look it over, but I probably wouldn't have time. Certainly not enough to finish before the day she is supposed to hand it in. Meanwhile, she is going to hang out in Bangkok for the weekend. Girls are crazy. I'll probably stick it in a software translator and let her sort out the mess. But that would entail me typing up the stupid 6 pages. Hrm.

I went out for drinks and karaoke last night. One of the spots we went to is called See You. Below that on the sign, it says "Let me see your feel..."

4 comments:

EMF Refugee said...

From "Would You Stick Your Head In A Microwave Oven" by Gerald Goldberg


Oxidative Damage

Increased oxydative damage or for that matter burn damage can result in a shorter life span. Consistently in the scientific literature has been noted that animals and humans subjected to microwave radiation show decreased levels of SOD, catalase, glutathione, CoQ10 along with evidence of increased byproducts of oxidative stress to cell membranes, MDA. Depletion of anti-oxidants has been shown to be an independent risk factor in the development of cancer and other illnesses associated with aging.

SOD, catalase, glutathione and CoQ10 are substances that the body
produces to protect itself. These substances are considered anti-oxidants. The body is continuously producing energy. Energy production produces heat and causes free electrons to be generated. The challenge that the cell had to overcome was how to cook within itself. Overcooking would cause the cell to literally cook itself. The difficulty issue for the cell is that is you burn down your own house, then you simply cannot continue to cook (produce energy).
In a simple manner anti-oxidants act much like insulation that one would have around the kitchen. It is desirable to have an oven or a furnace. However, it is not desirable to burn down the house. This is the equivalent role of anti-oxidants. If there is excessive damage to a cell, than this will be reflected in lower anti-oxidant levels. The anti-oxidants are getting used up faster than they can be produced or replaced. The level of anti-oxidants thus become a measure that the body or cell is overheating.

The body is continuously involved in a balancing act. The balance is the ability to generate energy and the ability to cope with burn damage. Anti-oxidants protect the structural parts of a cell from damage; these include cell membranes, structural proteins, and the genetic material of the cell. If the anti-oxidents are deficient than the cell will literally age or degrade at a very rapid rate. Sustaining adequate levels of anti-oxidants is a critical part of the diet. The level of anti-oxidants in the body play a critical role in determining the amount of work an individual can do. The levels of anti-oxidants in the body have been shown to be the most sensitive indicators in stress, aging, infections, and various other disease states. They are considered the most sensitive markers of aging used by investigatory science. Refer to the references at the end of the chapter for more complete references on this matter and the role of anti-oxidant substances in conferring protection to the cell.

Catalase is critical in reducing hydrogen peroxide to plain water. The prevents the buildup of too much H2O2 which can damage cell membranes. Notably this is critical in the perixosome, nucleus and the mitochondria. Decreased catalase levels have been found to be an independent marker of cell aging. Decreased levels of catalase in the mitochondria (cell furnace) have been found to be one of the most accurate predictive markers of accelerated aging and premature death in multiple animal models.

Microwave radiation has been shown to produce marked disruptions in energy production in cells. This has been noted as well as decreased ATP and creatinine phosphate production. ATP is considered to be the most important molecule that allows for the transfer of energy in the body. It is kind of like a miniature biological battery within the cell. If you do not have enough batteries than the cell stops working. Simple enough. The studies which are mentioned at the end of this section repeatedly found that microwave radiation decreased the ATP content of the brains of the animals that [they] studied. A brain that looses the ability to generate energy (ATP) ceases to work efficiently at all. The end result is that one can become neurologically or behaviorally impaired. This is what one finds in a child who is autistic, has ADD or other behavioral problems where the issue is impaired concentration. The same findings are also seen in individuals with psychiatric diseases, extremes of anxiety or depression as well as in dementia or Alzheimer's disease. These findings have been consistently found in all tissues examined. The scientific literature reflects that the damage can be attenuated or slowed down by the use of certain anti-oxidants (refer to the last section) and herbal products. Ultimately the body must rely on its diet to replace nutrients; it really has no other choice. Central to this point is that maintaining an adequate level of anti-oxidants in the diet, refer to the last section, will confer some degree of protection to the individual from continous exposure to microwave radiation as well as other factors.

Gwindarr said...

So my anxiety is a direct result of microwaving all those boca burgers a few years back?

Which waves caused me to have such problems before there were cell phones or microwaves?

EMF Refugee said...

ブレット、元気ですか。ブレットさんは何歳ですか。28歳ですね。1977年生まれですね。携帯電話のネットは1983でアメリカで始まったので5歳の時頃からこういうマイクロ波がアメリカで飛び始めたということです。最初は、アメリカの大都市だけ位だったが、1996年からだいたいアメリカの全体でcoverage areaが増えました。ブレットさんはいつこの不安と鬱病が始まりましたか。

EMF Refugee said...

"_5-HT contents change in peripheral blood of workers exposed to microwave and high frequency radiation

Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 1989 Jul; 23(4):207-10

The 5-HT contents of in the whole blood were inversely proportional to the power density of microwave and high frequency groups. The incidence of neurasthenic syndrome, unsymmetical skin temperature in both limbs and hypotension was higher in the microwave and high frequency radiation groups that that in the control group. The incidence of bradycardia and some abnormal items of electrocardiagraph in the microwave group was obviously greater.

Note decreased 5-HT levels are associated with decreased serotonin levels and are an indicator of inflammation. 5-HT is the direct source in the body of serotonin. Decreased levels of serotonin are associated with depression or anxiety regardless of the illness that they are associated with, that is decreased serotonin levels are associated with cancer and depression, depression and rheumatic illness, depression and neurological disease, depression and infectious disease._"

From "Would You Stick Your Head In A Microwave Oven?" By Gerald Goldberg


I don't know if there is anything else that would explain the symptoms of anxiety that affect people with CFS, which is what I had. But I am sure some out there will offer alternative explanations. [Of course, depression can be a result of just being sick - but this I would postulate works in conjunction with a decrease in 5-HT and hence seratonin in the brain.] The unexplained anxiety that I felt when I was sick was strongest at peak cell phone usage times here in Japan. This disappeared after I rented a log house in the mountains in a place that was out of cell phone range.

prd34