Saturday, July 08, 2006

Ah Shit

I made a rather crucial error this morning. For some reason I thought that my flight to Bangkok today was at 1:40. I had some tinge of doubt in my mind and because the internet sucks in my building and doesn't work half of the time I went to a net shop across the street. I checked my schedule a few minutes before noon and was rather horrified to find out that my flight was at 11:40.

I went to the airport and the people at AirAsia's counter told me that I could get my flight changed to another time only if I had some valid note from a doctor giving an excuse for missing my flight. I think this is the only Thai airline that does this. There wouldn't be this kind of hassle with the others.

Anyways, I went to a hospital with Ann (gf/mia). The first place I was pretty honest and the doctor wouldn't have any part of it. The doctor refused to lie so I could get to Bangkok and save me the pain of losing 2000 Baht. I went to another spot, and I sat with Ann and stared at this really hot nurse for a while before managing to go up to the counter with my story.

I told them I had a nasty case of ท้องเสีย (tóng sĭa) which translates literally to stomach-broken (diarrhea), and I couldn't make the flight. So I waited a bit then got my blood pressure taken by this really cute nurse who was asking me mighty specific questions about the fun I was presumably having in the bathroom. She named 4 kinds of diarrhea in Thai and asked which one I had. None of the four choices were words I had heard before so I just guessed the one that had a nice sound to it. I'm sure it meant something mighty unpleasant. She took notes and sat me down to wait again. After a short while I got sent in to see the doctor who struggled with a few words of English before I informed him I could speak Thai. I never lie for the most part, but I didn't know any other way around the situation. I told the doc my troubles started the afternoon before and I hadn't eaten anything yet today (which was true) so I wasn't sure if I would still have a problem or not. He offered me a bunch of pills and I threw in the "Might it be possible for me to get a note also?" I explained the situation as he wrote it up. He was surprised that they made me get a note. He experienced a similar situation (he just woke up late) and he called and they let him change his flight - no hassles.

The hospital visit cost me 574 Baht. We rushed back to the airport, as the next flight was the last flight, and gave them the note. They sent me upstairs to their supervisor who was looking kind of mean. But eventually she said she could get me on the flight, but she had to increase the already outrageously expensive fare. She wanted 107 Baht. I'm not sure if that was a bribe or a tip, but I seriously doubt it was legit. From her office, I rushed to the gate just before they started boarding.

Following that mess, I spent about an hour and a half in shitty Bangkok traffic to get to this Japanese vegetarian restaurant that I really like here. After my first meal of the day around 6pm, I went with my friend Eve to get a flower and a cake for Orli (I came to Bkk partly because of Orli's b-day). Now I'm going to shower and go out to some club where I imagine there will be some serious drinking and I didn't get a room tonight so I'm not sure where I'm going to sleep yet. I hope somebody has a camera at this jam.

I think I'm going to go visit this other friend in Pattaya tomorrow. Still debating that one. It should be a fun weekend either way.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny ass story!

ADH

P.S. - What's up with the microwave crap? That's my main source of food heating...am I in serious trouble or something? (I just made a tofu and gardenburger burrito for dinner)

EMF Refugee said...

ADH, I might just be one of the causes of ADHD.

EMF Refugee said...

どうですか。ナンパが出来ましたか。細かいことを教えて下さい。

Gwindarr said...

I'm on holiday, so I don't have time for a proper response in Japanese. Be patient. I'll be back in CM in a few days.

EMF Refugee said...

いいなー!凄い美人ですね。羨ましい!

prd34

Gwindarr said...

もちろん ナンバ出来た。実はそれ以上出来たよ。

Prd34の質問に応えて,不安障害は2-3歳ぐらい始まった。パニック発作は9歳からと思っている。

 

EMF Refugee said...

ナンパ以上が出来てよかったですね。タイは楽しそうなところですが、ちょっと危ないから、気を付けないと。「不安障害」と「恐慌発作」は子供の時からというのは大変ですね。僕の場合ではアトピー発作が有ります。味の素(MSG)はダメです。特にタイではRosDeeとKnorrのAromatという商品は酷いです。Disodium Inosinateとdisodium guanylateが入ってからです。もちろん、最近、電磁波過敏症にもなったから、携帯電話は特に苦手という事です。多分、日本に来ましたら、「不安障害」と「恐慌発作」はもっと酷くなるのでしょうか。最近、ディジタル放送もあちらこちらで始まっているからですし。まー!それでも頑張りましょう。レディボイに気を付けて下さい。:)元気でね。