Tuesday, August 15, 2006

First Day of School - (by no means interesting)

I haven't registered yet, but I sat in on 2 classes today. First up was English for Labour Law. I wasn't really sure what to expect before I went in. I'm still not so sure after having sat through the first 1.5 hour class. The teacher is an older American from San Diego. By his numerous references to Christianity and Christian-related activities, I suspect he is a rather devout Christian. Not that its that important I guess, but I'm always wary of missionaryish-types. But I still give them a chance.

Anyways, Eng for Labour Law seems to be a class more about law in general than labour law. And the work would be fairly international which could be interesting. However, 2 of the books he plans to use are written by Thais from Thammasat University, one of the better unis in Thailand. He gave us some worksheets, but they were easy to the point of being silly. It was like 6 pages of questions, but I scanned it and answered everything in my head in under a minute. Its vocab and vocab-usage of law related terms. The occasional uncommon word that a non-native speaker probably wouldn't know and plenty of native speakers don't know (stuff like tort, barrister and the like), but I knew them all and I feel like this is yet another class which I could easily skip with an exemption exam.

The guy seems nice enough, but he has one of those voices that should be taped so I could listen to it at night when I can't fall asleep. I was having a lot of trouble staying awake in 2 1.5 hour classes of his today. He speaks so slowly and reads a lot of passages from our packets out loud.

On the plus side, we will be watching a few movies in class. If I take it anyways.

Next up is Small Group Communication. Nobody knew what to expect on that either. The class consists of Tan, Wat and myself, all 3rd year students. Neither Wat nor I have yet to actually sign up for the class, but we are considering. Its a small group anyways. We watched the scene of LotR where they form the Fellowship of the Ring. We then discussed the process of reaching the decision. While this part was fun, we still spent entirely too much time with the teacher reading out loud to us -therefore making me sleepy- and wasting time.

Tomorrow, a few more classes to check out. I'll need to register tomorrow though.

Sorry if this was boring. You were warned.

No comments: