Thursday, December 15, 2005

Giant Falling Balls

I was at MBK (huge shopping complex) in Bangkok on Tuesday night searching for warm clothes when I saw a big commotion. People were lined up along the railing on the 5th floor. I looked up and saw that on 6 and 7 the railings were also full of people looking down at something. It took me a few minutes to squeeze my way in, but there was a giant football (soccer) on the 2nd floor escalator platform. There was a guy lying on the ground. Police were trying block off the escalators leading to and from the platform. At first I didn't think much about the ball and I was wondering if he jumped or fell. As it turned out the giant football which was hanging form the ceiling (7 or 8 stories up) fell onto this escalator island and hit one guy on the head. The ball was perhaps 3 or 4 metres high. This is where it got kind of funny. After the person was removed (alive or dead, I have no clue) a swarm of police attacked the ball. About 10 of them literally tore the ball apart in a few minutes. Inside was a large metal crossbar frame which obviously is what made the ball more dangerous. In less than 10 minutes, the giant ball was swept up and the frame was carried away and everyone went back about their business. Crazy stuff.

2 comments:

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Amusing.
A picture of the scene would have been nice.

Gwindarr said...

I would have, but alas, no camera. Just try to imagine utter chaos in a massive shoppin complex.