Saturday, January 21, 2006

The Return

I finally managed to register today. It was quite late, but I don't really attribute this to myself as my advisor is nowhere to be found most of the time and when she shows up she is mobbed by all the others that were looking for her all day. I often feel that if we traded her in for a puppy, things would go smoother and I could actually start to get things done.

Anyways, I decided to go with the three writing classes. As much as this worries me and will surely cause me many hours of stress during the semester, it might be good for me. It also might be especially dangerous due to my inability to initiate the writing process without some outside assistance, but we shall see.

As such, the course load is as follows:

M - W - F

9am - 10am - Short Story and Novel - Basically, we read stuff, discuss it and critique it. The teacher is a hardcore feminist and published author. I always feel I must beware what I write with her. I think she means well, but she is too defensive. Also, she occasionally reads to us her own published works and then asks us to discuss them. Asking for feedback is one thing, but this is the person who will be choosing my grade later. I don't trust anyones ability to be objective.

11 - 12 - Speech Writing - I'm not really sure about the purpose behind this class as obvious as it may seem, however the teacher seems really cool and so far it has been fun. I don't expect this to be an obscene amount of work. I am fine with assignments which require us to think about - then present some sort of discertation to the class, but weekly papers are a bit tougher for me.

1pm - 2pm - Mass Media - This class seems to be about the purpose behind the various forms of media and what their purposes are and how they differ. I suspect this will be the least stressful class for me. Much writing, but the assignments are to be more specific than the previous two. The less choices I must make, the less alcohol I must consume to make them. The instructor is the same as Speech Writing.

No comments: