Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Sorry So Long - What Can I Say?

I haven't slept in two days.

I'm not sure where to begin. I haven't written in a while for a number of reasons. Certainly, the first trigger was my trip to Korea. I'm not sure how much I can speak about, but it is safe to say that I am single again and enjoying it very much. Korea was an awful trip for many reasons. There was a few good nights and I didn't spend so much money there, but overall, it was pretty awful. I felt very uncomfortable there. Not the country, but the situation. It was an interesting place and I would probably enjoy living there somewhere outside of Seoul. I visited one other city that seemed more my speed, called Daegu. Anyways, I just don't see any need to go into details about that trip, but I feel comfortable saying that my night there (in Daegu) was the only night I truly enjoyed myself in Korea without any worries.

I hate Payap. Payap is my university. While, I don't necessarily hate the school as a whole, I hate it as an institution. And perhaps more specifically, I am referring to the international college. I honestly feel that all my attempts at a real education are thwarted by an administration full of corruption, cronyism and mounds of bullshit of which pains me to mention. Often, I feel that it is just the best scam ever. The standard of education in Thailand is lacking to begin with, but then again, there are very high levels of education to be found in certain departments of certain institutions as is the case anywhere. However, one of the major differences is how financial status has an effect on the level/standard of education. In the US, money alone or extremely good grades and high standardized testing scores (along with money and/or scholarships) can secure one a place in a decent institution. In Thailand however, admission to private uni/colleges is entirely dependant on tuition. Government funded schools have testing standards (which of course aren't necessarily fair for people who have handicaps or disadvantages related to testing, but at least they provide some level to work with) which are based on quotas which are based on majors and birthplace (similar to many Asian countries).

Let me try to spell things out in basic English. I live in Thailand. I want to learn things. Languages in particular. However, I have many interests. At my university, I am an English major. Most of the classes are far to easy for me. This doesn't bother me as I think the concept of a degree is rather ridiculous in the first place. But, as it stands, I must have this silly piece of toilet paper to secure a working visa in most of the countries of which I wish to live. I think I have slipped away from basic English. Let us move on to another angle of my worries in the following paragraph.

I have no clue as to what I should study this term, if anything. Originally, I had thought I would study 3 or 4 classes on M/W/F, however, I was rather horrified to discover that each of these classes involved much writing. For me, my ability to write comes and goes based on a number of factors. Unfortunately for my health, writing papers almost always involves drinking. Moreover, having three classes that all involve papers would, without a doubt, severely impair my progression with languages. I can study for classes that require me to memorize/learn theories or terms while waiting for the elevator, in between sets at the gym, or sitting in taxis, but to sit and write involves many hours for me. Classes such as this don't interfere with the other three schools at which I study. Nor do they truly impair my ability to cope with studying at four schools and working part-time simultaneously.
My schedule tends to get very full for most of the year. I have found that the less time one has, the more productive one can truly be.

There is much else I want to say sometimes, but I just haven't felt comfortable writing about them lately. I have so many stories that I want to write, but I just don't feel that I can. I feel my Japanese level has deteriorated, while my ability to communicate in Chinese has increased signifigantly. My Thai, while already quite fluent, is in a state of transformation. My Korean ability, I feel, is just a few months away from being able to truly converse (albeit at a basic level).

As for women, not unlike last January, where I broke up with my previous girlfriend of one year before going to Australia ( perhaps so I could have one month of guilt-free debauchery?) I came back single and so far I've had a similar amount of action. While, there is one potential serious relationship, I have about six others which I would like to play out first. In a culture where the expectations of monogamy are all a farce to begin with, it is difficult to weed through the underbrush of ladies to find something of quality. Then again, the adventures that come of these missions of 'gardening' can be pretty sweet.

I fell asleep this afternoon for 4 or 5 hours and I know I won't sleep again this eve. Question me before you misunderstand. I'm a bitter guy, but I care about some things. And, I never allow those around me that are naive or defenseless to be tread on.

This doesn't even remotely begin to cover the things in my life in the past couple of weeks, but I hope it offers an accurate glimse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting.

All over the place.

But interesting.

I like the flow on consciousness feel.

Thanks for sharing.