Tuesday, April 11, 2006

5 Nights in Bangkok

I was off from some of my schools, so I decided to skip work and the rest so I could get out of Chiang Mai for a few days and attempt to "relax." But of course, I hate relaxing most of the time because I see it as an awful waste of time. Really, my purpose there was to buy some books that I can't find in CM as well as some clothes because they tend to be cheaper in Bangkok and of greater variety.

I fared well on books I suppose. I bought Cell, Stephen King's new book which is about a plus that happens one afternoon turning everyone speaking on a mobile network at that moment into a zombie. Actually, it was really good. I couldn't stop reading it so I stayed up (not that I can sleep anyways) until 4:30 or so when I finished the book that I had just bought a few hours before. Aside from that, I bought a beginners book for Burmese. I had been helping a Burmese girl to fix up her papers - which means fix up her English so our American teacher can understand what she is trying to say, and in exchange she was only responsible for feeding me and teaching me a Burmese for a few minutes. It seemed easy enough so I figured I could passively study it and see what happens. Finally, I bought a Chinese book. It was pretty expensive, but I thought it offered some interesting information on the first 1500 characters or so.

As for clothes, I scoured the markets for hours and only came up with a handful of shirts I would wear. The most expensive of these being 180 baht (about $4.50 US). Good stuff.

Slightly more exiting than my shopping adventures, I did manage to get to RCA, a street in Bangkok with a number of high class clubs. I went to Route 66 with a girl I met through her older sister in CM. The older sister is one of the Nestle salesteam/distributors that I teach twice a month in CM. It was pretty fun. Not nearly as expensive as I expected it to be, though certainly not cheap in comparison to CM spots. The place we were at was huge. There was a huge hip-hop room and a nearly as big live Thai music room. We stayed in the hip-hop spot and it was pretty fun. The only downside was the smoke. It was just awful, I knew I'd be sick for at least all of the following day. Stop smoking you idiots! It makes me sick. That night, as fun as it was, had me coughing up crap for 2 days. I'm gonna die fairly young because the world isn't catching on fast enough to the problems of smoking. There probably isn't any saving of me now, as my lungs are almost as bad as they forced me to quit smoking 6 years ago, but I won't stop complaining and harrassing those that accost me with their noxious fumes.

The crazy water festival which officially begins on Wed will probably start tomorrow and there will be chaos in the streets. I will try to keep you informed on the good stuff that comes of that.

No comments: