Tuesday, April 18, 2006

He Fell from the 3rd Floor

As I was returning to my apartment from my Japanese private lesson I was coaxed by the laundry shop at the bottom of my building to drink with them for a bit. After hanging out there for an hour or so, there was apparantly a loud noise (which I missed) and somebody looked outside. The owner of the shop came to me frantically saying something that was was hard to comprehend. I could only make out that something fell.

So I went out to the fake balcony of the first floor and there was a guy lying on the pavement with 2 people holding on to him. There was blood everywhere. So I jumped over the railing and went outside to see if I could do anything - which in Thailand means to stop the fake security guard/worker/(slaves - as they we sometimes refer to them) from doing anything stupid like moving him. He said he fell from the third floor and that he hadn't been drinking and he hadn't jumped intentionally. His girlfriend said little and it all seemed kind of strange.

First, it seemed like there was a whole lot more blood than one would expect from the third floor. There was a large puddle a few feet from where he was lying. Also, the trajectory was odd. I was trying to work out originally how he might have flung head-first over the balcony - but it didn't seem to match up. Based on the way he landed (as far as I could tell by when I first saw him maybe 20 seconds or so after he fell) I would say he was probably sitting on the edge and and fell/was pushed backwards.

He was conscious and his arm was broken, but otherwise he didn't seem that bad. But then again, I wasn't sure where the blood was coming from. It was all over his shirt in various patches and plenty on the pavement.

The emergency team must have taken 7 or 8 minutes to get there. This is kind of ridiculous because the hospital they said they called could be walked to in a less than 5. The medical treatment here is good, but the emergency response system isn't much to fawn over.

2 comments:

Chris said...

He seems to be suffering from a case of acute deceleration syndrome....

The whole thing, as you described it, sounds like something out of a movie.

Here via Blog Explosion.

Chris
My Blog

Gwindarr said...

Indeed. I think a summary of the crazy things that go on in my life would make a pretty insane movie. I just don't have time for the script at the moment. Its on the back of the shelf for now.