Sunday, October 15, 2006

Unproductive Silliness

I have been feeling pretty strange lately. I'm finding myself unable to do anything productive in regards to my uni. I need to write a couple papers two of which are due this week and I haven't even started. I've tried to sit down a number of times and have come up with very little. Just now in fact, I have spent an hour and a half researching Korean labour laws for a presentation I have to give on Thursday and I have yet to find one specific case study. I even did it at an internet shop assuming it was my room that was causing me to be lazy or something. Apparantly not. I can sit and study language stuff no problem, but I can't seem to jumpstart anything with schoolwork. Crazy stuff. Why does this crap happen to me?

The other presentation is actually a lesson, or part of one anyways, for my Instructional Skilsl class. I have to write a short paper citing some of the stuff we have read which is all language-teaching theory. Everyone else is most likely going to teach an English lesson, as all the examples are English, so I figured I'd do something different. I'm going to teach a lesson in Korean. Should be interesting.

Oh, and to make things worse, the current junta that has taken over Thailand recently has decided to implement a ban on advertising alcohol. And they want to raise the drinking age to 25 (from 18!). I can't even fathom the fallout that will result in the nightlife community if this really comes about. And what will become of all those attractive young girls who work for all the alcohol companies wearing tight appropriately logo'd outfits who pour my drinks (they essentially serve as backup staff in rest/pubs/clubs working directly for the distributor rather than the place they are working at)? How will they continue to support their education? Who will pour my beer? They hold a special place in my heart indeed.

No comments: