Monday, March 26, 2007

Rambo Can Fly?

So knowing I had to wake up at 4am-ish yesterday I went to sleep the night before around 9:30. I then woke up a bit past midnight feeling awfully sick (of the hot/cold/sweaty/feverish/nauseous/wondering-if-its-food-poisoning type). Due to hot/cold flashes and pretty intense stomach pains and a number of trips to the bathroom expecting to throw up, I couldn't get back to sleep. Around 4:30am I went to 7-11 to get some asprin and water and then I headed to the hotel which serves as home base for the casting crew. I was somewhat surprised to find only 5 other whiteys being taken to the location. 3 of them had already shot at least one day before. We arrived at the national park where they were shooting sometime after 6am. I was unable to sleep at all during the ride. When we got there we had "breakfast." No vegan food aside from fruit and pretty busted salad choices. So I had fruit for breakfast and salad and fruit for lunch. Not exactly filling, but my stomach was still a bit busted so it was enough to keep me moving. Well, not moving so much as sitting and waiting in one boat before we were told to move to another boat for a while and wait there. Then we went ashore for a while in the middle of the reservoir and sat there for an hour or so. To summarize, we waited all day and didn't end up shooting our one stand-in scene with 'rambo' (a chinesy-looking Thai guy with a wig and a red bandana) for a wide shot with the camera being in a helicoptor passing back and forth and circling us in our little shanty boat.

Anyways, the actual scene took a bit over an hour and then we went back, changed gear and left. We got back to CM around 5:30ish or so. The other stand-ins were nice enough, but it was by far the most boring of my foray into the world of being a human prop. I was pretty sure I was going to retire after Rambo, as things can only plummet in life from this particular apex of my life, but then it was suggested that I might be 'needed' for a speaking part 2-3 days next week. We shall see.

Oh, btw, I was a stand-in for the leader of the missionaries that get captured and/or killed by river pirates or some such. The actor portraying my stand-in character looks somewhere around 50. There is no way you can make out my face in this scene for sure, but I could probably point myself out to you if you so desire.

We never saw Sly, but I swear I heard his voice 2 or 3 times on the radios. My assumption was that he was in the helicoptor with the camera the entire time.

Another last thought, I ended up being awake for around 27 hours during this ordeal. I occasionally dozed off for a few minutes here and there, but I couldn't stay down. When I finally did actually fall asleep around 2am the next morning, I still started waking up far too early (around 7am), feeling completely exhausted.

No comments: