Friday, February 18, 2005

Popup pics - New Friends - Enrollment - Japanese Club

Sorry its been a while folks. The seas have been a bit rough.

Pop was quite pleased with the flowers. I wrote her a relatively long email in Thai and she answered that fairly quickly and sent me a rather stunning picture of herself. She is amazing. I may post it later, but I'm not sure if I should. Its nothing obscene or anything, but I feel that this isn't one for me to share like this. Her birthday is quite soon and I sent her a stuffed kangaroo.

I've become quite friendly with a number of people here while the bulk of the people from the international compound were on the orientation trip. I have no regrets about skipping the trip. I studied a lot, was very productive and made friends. Thats all I needed.

I still feel a bit alienated here with some people here. Especially with the Americans. I have my ideas about what they think of me, but I suppose it isn't terribly important. After all, I don't think that way anymore. Or at least thats what I'm trying to maintain. I'm not unhappy, but I feel as if I am on the ledge of some major disappointment that I just won't allow. I can't really explain it. I am almost out of Zoloft, and I have just been taking it as I felt it was necessary. I imagine that is part of the problem, but I also realize that for the first time in my life I am at least partially aware/in control of my emotions. Even though that has diminished in the past week or so, I still feel like I have the power. I may need more meds to maintain it and I am aware of the possibility of problems when I run out.

I enrolled today. I selected Chinese, Arabic, Conversational Indonesian and Discovering Music. I may drop Indonesian if the work load seems to heavy. Keep in mind I am putting a lot of time into Thai and Japanese on the side as well as a few mintues a day with German and a few other languages. I got my student id card made. I dig the picture. If I come across a scanner in the near future I'll share its wonders here.

I've been exercising regularly and I think I am looking pretty fit. I found a great Asian market that isn't so far by bus in town also. Its cheap and I stocked up on lots of the stuff I usually eat in Thailand. Food is good!

Michi, (friend introduced to me by Yumiko and Kumiko [whom I met in Thailand]) invited me to this Japanese jam/club/class/think? tonight. It was great. It consisted of a bunch of Japanese and a handful of white folk all fumbling around with Japanese and English. I met a very nice and rather cute Japanese girl named Ayumi and I expect to return to this club every Thursday from now on!

I have so much more to say, but I am tired. I fear that as classes start and my control over my schedule diminishes, I won't write as much as I have been. It is my hopes that I can force myself to write in each of the languages I'm studying a few times a week on this site. Along with that I will try to offer up some interesting pieces of info in my life here.

I wish I had a digital camera so I could offer you a more visual rendering of my routine.

No comments: