Tuesday, July 26, 2005

An Evening on the Binge

I'm still sick. Not as bad as I was, but I still feel like crap. I was hoping to go to the gym today, but I don't think I'm up for it yet. Hopefully, tomorrow.

I tried out Chinese class yesterday. Apparantly, it is a level 5 class. I attempted to fumble my way through an interview in Chinese, but it was kind of embarrassing as I've supposedly studied Chinese for quite a while now. The teacher seems pretty good. Hes very strict on pronunciation, which is fine with me. He corrected me a lot at the beginning, but by the end of the two hour class I had slowed down my speech and by the end of the class he said I had improved my ability to speak clearly considerably. We read a rather long passage which had a handful of words I haven't learned or had forgotten. There were only 2 other people in the class (both Thai girls). We read a conversation with the pinyin, then he reads it, then we cover the pinyin and try to read the characters. Throughout the class, he asks various questions about our lives relating to the new vocab. Good stuff. 6 hours/week of this, along with me hoping to catch up on vocab and speaking should have me able to converse in basic Chinese very quickly. Its about time anyways.

Some girl called me yesterday. She started speaking in English, and then switched to Thai. She said she had moved to Bangkok and was wondering when I was coming there to visit. I didn't recognize the number and although I pretended to know her, I haven't a clue who she is. I sent her a message later asking who, but I didn't get a response. I hate when that happens.

Even though I've been sick, I went out with Jiu last night after the class. In part, because I needed to get out, but more importantly, I wanted to get trashed so I could force myself back into a semi-normal sleeping schedule. We went to a place whose name was the abbreviation for Bangkok in Thai. Stupid name. They had a great promotion going on. 2 large Asahi or 3 Leo (beers), ice and peanuts for 150 baht(about $3.25). We had a heiniken, then 2 Asahi, then 6 Leo. 2 people vs 9 beers. The beer won.

F showed up somewhere in the middle of all of that beer. I hadn't seen her yet, nor been able to contact her so it was really nice. We caught up on things and after she drove us to some other bar with a bunch of her friends. I successfully got decimated and passed out. I woke up around 10am. Mission accomplished.

No comments: