Thursday, July 28, 2005

Whachyu talkin' bout Willis?

Ok - So I managed to go home early last night in an attempt to "take it easy" and not drink. I was tired and sick. I lasted until a quarter after midnight or so. Then I went to Chiang Mai Saloon and drank until it closed, then went out to eat with my friends (the staff). Bit of a hangover, but I feel much better as far as the sickness goes. I went to the gym and because it is super-hot today,I went swimming also.

Speaking of swimming, while I was doing laps, this tiny old man with a kickboard starts doing laps along the width of the pool. He swam dreadfully slow, so every few laps I would stop and wait for a seemingly endless time before he passed out of my path. Eventually, I got fed up and turned my lap into something of an obstacle course, having to dodge both the guy and the lady swimming next to me. Um, well the point of this, aside from the absurdity of the old guy paddling back in forth in front of me, is that I developed a new stroke! Yes, its true. I was doing the good old-fashioned breast stroke, concentrating on getting the most out of each stroke, when I angled my body to swim diagonally between the two people, I felt pull in muscle areas that don't usually get much work from the breast stroke. Realizing instantly with glee that the efficiency of my discovery would possibly make me more fit if I bothered to stick to it, I tested it out for a while. As for details on how to perform this stroke, I'm not ready to reveal them to the general public. Well, not until I am sure its completely brilliant!! I've decided to name this future style of swimming the Brett Stroke. So called thus, because of my name and its similarity to the word breast! Also, being that many Thai people have trouble pronouncing my name at first and often refer to me as 'Brest' to my dismay, I figured it would be amusing.

I managed to get some more pictures from Melbourne. I'll begin posting them this weekend.

I'm also thinking about how I can use the "Remembering the Kanji" method to memorize all the Chinese characters. Being that I managed to essentially zap 300 Chinese characters into my head in 2 days and I have no doubt I will retain 80% or more of it, I think it would be quite useful to apply a similar technique for Chinese. Any thoughts on this?

No comments: