Thursday, August 18, 2005

First Week of Classes - Orientation and Stuff

The first week is of classes is at a close, and I think I've managed to pull off a decent productivity-nurturing schedule. Or as much as this is possible anyways in Thailand. I need to go to school early two or three times/week which leaves me some time to exercise and do homework and the like during the other days.

Orientation is tomorrow. I don't understand why Payap has orientation day the last day of the first week. It seems a bit out of sequence to me. Anyways, I "volunteered" to show around the new students in my major. I don't know how I got talked into it really. The school should know by now that I'll tell everyone the truth and how to get things done in this wacky Thai system. That won't help them much.

One of the girls in my Japanese class told me about a free Korean school which happens to be mighty close to my new apartment. I'm going to try and check it out next week. I find its not terribly efficient of my time to study languages if I can't practice them a couple times a week.

I've been doing research lately on PDAs and I'm beginning to wonder if one would simplify my life at all. It would be quite nice if I didn't always have to carry around my little notepads and pencils all the time so I can write down a jumble of notes every time hear a new word and then enter them into my multi-language vocabulary program later. I could see the benefits of being able to organize myself and also have access to dictionaries of various languages. I've also looked at smartphones, as I need a new phone, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be cheaper to just buy a pda and another cheap phone. As convenient as it would be, I just can't decide if all-in-one is really necessary at this point for me. Then again, its also possible I'm just feeling gadget withdrawal due to my laptop and mobile's mutual decision to cease working properly without my consent.

Here is a couple pics from the flooding at F's house.

F and friends.

No comments: