Friday, August 26, 2005

Study Abroad Application - Sick Again - Good Stuff

I'm sick again. Flu-like symptoms. It would be nice to stay in bed all day, but I have too much work to do! I spent the past couple hours writing the 3 essays for my application to study at Yonsei University in Seoul. I'm having trouble getting reference letters as my advisor is insane and every time I think I've figured out how to stay on her good side she goes wacko on me. My reference letters must be from my advisor as well as one other non-relative. The problem is that none of the teachers that I've had at my school are still here. Some went back to their respective countries, some just disappeared into hedonistic lifestlyes or other jobs and at least one was fired. This may prove to be a problem.

Me: I need you to write me a reference letter.
Her: ::satanic look:: For what?
Me: Study abroad.
Her: But you just got back! You want to go again?
Me: Of course. Don't worry, just write the letter.
Her: Argh, I don't have time now. Come talk to me next week.
Me: Bah.

In translation class yesterday, our teacher read a passage from the bible to us seven time! With different levels of translation from literal to idiomatic. Scary stuff. As much disdain as I have for religion in general, nothing stresses me out more than people who are abusing their position to push their religion upon you(read: me!). She gives homework everyday which is a good thing. It forces me to practice. But the theory seems kind of ridiculous. I imagine I could just take the final and skip the class. Its kind of funny that I could conceivably test out of nearly every class in my major. Of course they will eventually set a limit or something and attempt to make me pay for the full classes. It used to make us really angry how easy many of the classes were, but these days we just can't help but laugh.

There are 3 grad students in my Creative Writing class. I don't know if its common to give grad credit for undergrad classes, but its kind of odd.

What a ridiculous society we live in that requires a piece of paper to show a commitment of time so you can have a fair shot at doing productive things with your life. I've stopped fighting the system as that doesn't seem to accomplish much. Now I do things more subtely than before. Less stress, more fun, more knowledge, same crappy piece of paper.

Lia and Lana are leaving Melbourne on Monday. I'm not sure if they will stay in Malaysia for a few days or if they will come straight here, but I guess I will see her soon enough. Good stuff.

There are many new students this term and I have made a number of new friends.
Some bizzare explosion just happened outside. It sounded a bit like fireworks that were too close. Dunno.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yo Brett,
It's Alessia. You are in Australia? Lucky bastard : )