Monday, August 22, 2005

Short Excursion to the North

F told me to come meet up with her in the North and said she would pay for everything for me. So I skipped Japanese class on Saturday and hopped on a bus to Payao, a city about 3 hours North of Chiang Mai. There I met up with F, her boyfriend and another girl Jen. We went to check out this big lake they have there and then we went to have dinner at a nice place by the water. After that went to the only disco in town which from the inside reminded me of the inside of an airport hangar. The music was pretty good and it wasn't overly loud. And because the ceiling was so high, the smoke didn't really bother me all that much. I suppose the only complaint I have applies to many places of this type in Thailand - inside the men's room there are guys with hot towels and such who attempt to massage you both during and after you use the bathroom. They of course expect a tip after so you gotta be a bit aggressive in getting them to back off. This place though had more than I had ever seen at one time. I went to wash my hands and was acosted by 5 at once. Of course, this is just because I'm white in a small city which doesn't have many foreigners, so they all just assume I can be duped into tipping them ridiculous amounts of money. I'm pretty sure the girls room doesn't have anything of the sort.

After the disco we tried to find a karaoke place, but didn't have any luck with that so we went and rented some rooms for the night. The next day we went to Chiang Rai and did something similar there. I was able to get my karaoke on for a bit as well. Fun stuff.

No comments: