Friday, August 12, 2005

Old Friends - New Place - Queen's B-dayu (Thai Mother's Day)

I ran into an old friend today at Central (the shopping center I frequent). A Swedish guy named Karl, who was the only foreigner I really spent any time talking to during my first year in CM. We lived in the same building and exchanged some funny stories of the horrible building we lived in. From the crazy alcoholic dentist who owned the building and sexually harrassed his secretary to our 40-yr-old Burmese friend Sunny who had an interesting past as a soldier in the rebel army who told us some pretty harsh stories himself. I could go on about the time all the rooms on my floor were broken into by an Iranian guy and his Thai girlfriend and how they stole my CD player and I had to go to Thai court and "testify" to get it back after they caught him.

Anyways, we had lunch, watched Thom Yam Gung which stars this crazy martial arts master from Thailand (he was also in Ong Bak). I think his name is Tony Jaa? The story was a bit ludicrous at times, but the action was intense as always.

I reserved a room in the new apartment building near my gym. I got a corner room on the top floor. It has a pretty nice view of the city. It will be so nice to have internet in my room again. I'll start moving in there towards the end of the month, but I imagine it will be a gradual process. I may let Lia and her sister live there while they are in Chiang Mai and I will stay in my current room in the meantime.

I think I'm getting dragged into bowling with Jiu and a couple of his CMU exchange students tonight. Its raining pretty hard and last time I went home in the rain, I was sick for a week so I think I will go to bowling rather than face the weather.

No comments: