Saturday, March 26, 2005

Wine Tasting - Cambodian Revenge Model

My housemates have left on their vacations. Its nice to have the house to myself for a bit. I'm going into the city today for a wine tasting.

Last night I watched the Killing Fields, which I had had never seen before. It was an interesting movie about the genocide that took place in Cambodia between 1975 and 1979 in which 20% of the Cambodian population perished. Watching it made me think about some of the research I did last semester for my Foundations of SE Asian Culture class. We spent a while on Cambodia and read some things that implied that this genocide was brought about by the Khmer Rouge (a rather small political party that incited the rural peoples to slaughter the urbanites). It is theorized that they incited a "class grudge" based on a cultural model of disproportionate revenge. Rather than explain what thats about, I think the famous tale of Tum Teav sums it up quite nicely. As I don't have the time to go into that right now, you can search for it online or I'll tell you later! Time for wine.

No comments: